Hearing aids can be largely categorised into two different types: Behind-the-ear hearing aids (BTE) and In-the-ear hearing aids (ITE).
Both devices come with the same hearing technology options, which mean you for the level of technology provided, rather than the type of hearing aid it is.
With the technological advancements of today, the hearing aids available on the market have shrunken more and more in size – they’re so tiny and discreet, you can barely tell if someone is wearing one!
Behind-the-ear (BTE) hearing aids – how they work
As the name implies, BTE devices have the main hearing aid mechanism sitting just behind your ear. A thin cord transmits the sound into the receiver, amplifying the sound so you can hear it.
You have two options for the location of the receiver:
- The housing is placed behind the ear, and the receiver/ loudspeaker is placed directly in the ear. This reduces its size, while maintaining the same power.
- The receiver is placed in the ear, but not as deeply.
In-the-ear (ITE) hearing aids – how they work
On the other hand, all electronic components of ITE hearing aids are completely contained within a casing, which is then fit directly into your ear. The size of the ITE hearing aid depends on the degree of your hearing loss, as well as the shape of your ear canals.
There are three types of ITE hearing aids available:
- In-the-canal (ITC) - A model that sits in the canal, revealing less of the hearing aid.
- Completely-in-canal (CIC) – A tiny device placed deep into the ear canal, making the hearing aids almost invisible.
- Invisible (IIC) - This model is placed deep into the ear canal, rendering the hearing aids invisible.
Wondering which type of hearing aid is best suited for you?
To choose the right hearing aid for you, your hearing specialist will have to determine the severity of your hearing loss and the size of your ear canal. In most cases, you will be able to choose the hearing aid type that is best suited to your lifestyle.
To learn more about the hearing aids available, please book an appointment with bloom™ hearing specialists today. From the first consultation to the fitting and selection of the right hearing aid, we’ll support you every step of the way, towards your journey to better hearing.